Friday, March 11, 2016

Final - M4 Hand Drawn Lettering / Typography Competition


Guidelines: Digital Images: Must be RGB in JPG format with a maximum width of 1024 pixels and a maximum height of 768 pixels at 72 dpi. NO EXCEPTIONS. Digital images will be projected for the judges using an HD projector on a 6' x 4' screen.

Below you will find my new file with the correct guidelines for digital images as per the CA competition guidelines. 




For this project I re-drew out the text "we're all stories in the end" how I envisioned, with the banners and the contrasted type (all caps/lowercase and script/sans serif). I used my sketch as a guide for this and did my best. I do wish this part came out better. 

I scanned the paper at 600 DPI. My scanner can't go any higher. I would have liked to go to 1200. 
I took the image into Photoshop. I used levels and curves in Photoshop and removed all of the gray tones so that it was a true black and white and made the contrast very... high. I used layer masking to get rid of the dust on the paper and I hid the pixels of the paper so that only the text was visible. I dragged this from Photoshop into Illustrator after creating a new file. 

In illustrator I used the image trace option and then I expanded it to create the vector. I selected all of the letters, made them white and then selected the background and made it transparent, including all of the gaps in each letter, like the D, R, O, etc. I dragged on the watercolor background and then I selected the banners and made them purple with the dropper tool by selecting a color from the watercolor background.

The watercolor was a texture background I found here: 20+ High Quality Watercolor Backgrounds and Textures.  I would have liked to create my own water color but I do not have watercolor paints. I researched how to do it in photoshop a bit, it seemed I would need brushes. Anyone know another way? I found these brushes but I hated what I did with them. The terms and conditions of use were as follows: 

Photoshop Brushes by McBadshoes - http://mcbadshoes.deviantart.com/

My brushes are free to use for all art projects!  

*DO NOT distribute brushes without my permission!

*CREDIT and/or LINK ME when using brushes/images.


The above was my watercolor creation in photoshop with those brushes. I hate it! I could never get the real water color feel with them. I'm tempted to go out and buy some watercolor paints and some paper but in the interest of time, I don't think I'll be able to.  

I enjoyed the process of creating something on paper and turning it into a piece of digital art very much. I have always wanted to learn how that was done so that is why I decided to do this for my design competition. I could have taken the easy way out and done a photography competition since I am a photographer but I wanted to challenge myself so that I would actually learn something useful and be able to take it with me in my career... or as a hobby because this was REALLY fun. I do wish that I knew calligraphy and that I was able to smooth out my letters a bit more. The more I did it, the worse it seemed to look. I'm okay with how it turned out because I feel that it has a bit of a hand-drawn feel/charm. The biggest thing that I am happy with is that I finally know how to do this process and I feel pretty good about doing it again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment