Friday, March 11, 2016

M4 Sketches - Hand Lettering Competition


Above is the first mock up of the quote "We're all stories in the end" from Dr.Who. It is meaningful to me because as I stated in our discussion, my best friend passed away this January. She was 29 and loved Dr.Who. The quote also serves as a reminder of our fragile lives and mortality. 

I wanted to have a contrast of hand drawn lettering. The ALL and the IN THE are all caps in this version with slight serifs. I definitely don't like them. If I went this route, I'd need to do a lot of practicing. The words stories, end and we're are in a more cursive font and are upper and lower case to contrast with the block letters of the words all, in and the. 


One this page I have a bunch of sketches of different embellishments I could use throughout the hand lettering to draw attention to the quote. I'm not sure what you would call them all but there are about 6-7 different kinds. 

I used the flags and a cursive lettering for the words all, in and the. Again I used capital letters for we're, stories, end but I very much like these letters instead of the blockier ones above. Obviously I started the word stories too late and would move it over so it doesn't get smaller. The word end would also be moved down and under "in the" ... I ran out of page :)


I wanted to try one with the words all the same length which would require the smaller words "all" to be larger. You can see that variation in #5 on the right. I drew it slanted but it isn't supposed to be.

The one labeled number four I tried it with different embellishments and kept ONE flag. 


No comments:

Post a Comment